Arrangements for students with SEN and disabilities at the academies
Duty to have regard to the Code of Practice and other guidance
1. The Company shall have regard to the Special Educational Needs Code of Practice (2014) and any guidance issued by the Secretary of State relating to sections 316 and 316A of the Education Act 1996.
Duties in relation to students with SEN
The Company shall in respect of each Academy designate the Principal, a Director or a member of the Academy’s Local Governing Body, as the responsible person for the purposes of the following duties in relation to students with SEN.
The Board of Directors shall in respect of each Academy:
- use their best endeavours, in exercising their functions in relation to the Academy, to secure that, if any registered student has special educational needs, the special educational provision which the student’s learning difficulty calls for is made;
- secure that, where the responsible person has been informed by a local authority that a registered student has special educational needs, those needs are made known to all who are likely to teach the student;
- secure that the teachers in the Academy are aware of the importance of identifying, and providing for, those registered students who have special educational needs; and
- consult the LA and the governing bodies of other schools in the area, to the extent that this is necessary for co-ordinating provision for students with SEN.
Where a child who has special educational needs is being educated in an Academy, those concerned with making special educational provision for the child shall secure that the child engages in the activities of the school together with children who do not have SEN, so far as is reasonably practicable and is compatible with: (a) the child receiving the special educational provision which his learning difficulty calls for; (b) the provision of efficient education for the children with whom he will be educated; and (c) the efficient use of resources.
The prospectus for each Academy shall include details of the Company’s policy for students with SEN and in particular shall include the information specified in Schedule 1 to the Education (Special Educational Needs) (Information) Regulations 1999 as amended or re-enacted from time to time. It shall also include details of the arrangements for the admission of disabled students; the steps taken to prevent disabled students from being treated less favourably than other students; and the facilities provided to assist access to the Academy by disabled students (disabled students meaning students who are disabled for the purposes of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995).