There are numerous benefits of reading aloud to children:
- Creates a bond – shared experience
- Encountering new words enriches vocabulary
- Children can understand stories beyond their reading ability
- Improves concentration and attention span
- Allows interaction, asking questions, rich use of language in discussion
- Helps them make connections with the personal experience of others and the development of empathy
- Comprehension: Listening to complex stories increases knowledge and understanding
- Listening to a story being read aloud shows beginner readers how fluent readers read.
- The words children hear in books give them a rich language when they begin their own writing.
- Seeing the text as it is read provides opportunities to teach vocabulary, spelling, grammar, punctuation
Here are some recommendations for our
Key Stage 1 children